I have been involved with Global Brigades, a club on campus whose mission is “to empower volunteers and under-resourced communities to resolve global health and economic disparities” through its core values of sustainability and holistic development during my past four years at Pitt. I cannot even begin to describe my passion and commitment to this organization. After a year of learning about the organization’s values and admiring the culture of education, critical thinking, and thoughtfulness leaders in the club tried to create my freshman year, as well as attending the public health brigades for the first time that May, I knew I had to become involved to give back to the organization for all that it had given me.
Public Health Brigades Recruitment Chair (2017-2018)
- Recruited 17 members to the Pitt public health brigades
- Coordinated trip to Honduras in May 2018 and organized members to build latrine and hygiene station with community members in rural Honduras
Executive Board Education Chair (2018-2019)
- Led and facilitated all meetings, group discussions, and activities to further members’ understanding of sustainable development and service learning
- Led project to design and create two Global Brigades promotional videos to recruit members
Campus Chairperson (2019-2020)
- Expanded Pitt Global Brigades by supporting the start-up of Pitt’s first dental brigades
- Doubled Pitt’s membership from 50 members last year to 100 committed members who had planned to attend brigades May of 2020.
- Started Big/Littles mentorship program & created extensive volunteering opportunities with Days for Girls (sustainable menstrual health organization)
- Organized and led educational meeting on a new topic: Feminism in Latin America
- Strengthened internal leadership by initiating campus council meetings with both executive board and brigade leaders, which was previously unprecedented, for greater collaboration and communication.
- Planned and led the annual spring Student Leadership Conference